Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Avoiding the Cold: Thick Socks

The worst part of winter is just around the bend, and it's easy for us to forget how cold the first few months of the year can get. Most of us have packed away our sandals and light summer footwear, but that doesn't mean that we can't wear some of our lighter footwear in the winter. All we really need is a pair of thick socks.

Not let me preface the rest of this article with a few things. I am in no way, shape, or form telling you to wear your sandals in the winter with thick socks. If you have half a brain you will understand that. Summer footwear is summer footwear, and a lot of it is not acceptable to wear in the winter. Here are a few rules I've come up with in order to narrow down your thick-sock-appropriate shoe selection.


Not Acceptable
1. Anything with open toes
2. Anything that is made of  particularly light and airy canvas (example: those Sanuk sandals)
3. Shoes with light or pastel colors
4. Any footwear that you don't feel comfortable wearing in the winter

I added the fourth bullet on the list for a reason. This is one of my 10 style rules, putting on things only if you can confidently wear them. If you question yourself, people will notice. Next, I really want to stress color. I only wear nonwinter footwear when the colors are dark. I have a pair of dark blue slip on suede-ish shoes that I've been wearing recently with thick socks. They look similar to this:

These can be worn in the winter because of the dark color. Similarly, Vans slip ons with darker colors have my seal of approval because the thick socks give them the warmer feel that makes them able to be worn in winter. Once the snow starts to fall heavily, though, its time to put these shoes away for the season and start putting on your boots, because there is nothing more stupid than wearing a pair of slip on shoes in the middle of a snowstorm.

Another thing that I have been seeing in the magazines is wearing these thick socks with your dress shoes. Strikingly different socks in the workplace has been a trend for a few years now, and its one that I tend to like. J Crew and Urban Outfitters have many good patterned thick socks that could give your workplace look a little winter boost. I got a few pairs about a month ago at J Crew for $12 per pair.

I've put a few ads at the bottom of the article for those of you who want to buy some pairs online for cheap. So get out into the cold in your favorite footwear, all while keeping your toes warm!


No comments:

Post a Comment